Wednesday 19 June 2013

A Yellow Day


Sometimes it's easier to think of activities to do if they are loosely based around a theme. I read that toddlers aged 29 months (Poppet's age) may be able to identify red and yellow when shown but will still have problems differentiating blue and green. How strange?! This is definitely true of her. Pink, black and white are the only colours that she definitely knows. Whenever we walk down the street she is forever trying to name the colours of the cars we pass but it is hit or miss! So I decided to focus on colour play for a little while. While at the library we picked up a few colour books that were displayed on the windowsill, how convenient!


We got the white, yellow and green books and are reading them to her every day until we take them back on Monday. This morning after we got back from the shops I thought I would expand on the yellow theme so got my washing basket out and encouraged Poppet to help me find lots of yellow things to take outside. I started off the first few things then she started gathering things too. I went into each room in the house, through all the kitchen drawers, in her wardrobe, asking her each time 'Is there anything yellow in here?' Interestingly sometimes she disqualified a lemon yellow item from the basket - to her 'yellow' is only bright, vibrant yellow.


Once we had amassed quite a collection I laid out our big (conveniently) yellow blanket and put all the things we had found on it - various yellow toys, a dress, a table runner, cups, a lemon squeezer, a stork tub, a scarf, a striped yellow rug, a chair, a cushion, a yellow straw, rubber gloves and other bits. Poppet was going a bit 'yellow' crazy by this point, excitedly shouting 'yellow' at anything she saw - 'yellow slide!'.

Lady in yellow
Poppet immediately wanted to put on the yellow dress and used the table runner as a shawl. A vision in yellow. Little just loved exploring all of the objects in their new setting.


Lunchtime came and if I had been clever and organised I might have produced a yellow themed picnic but I am neither of these things. I searched my kitchen but a brown banana and two yellow tomatoes do not a yellow picnic make. 


The banana became a milkshake,  and the cheese on crackers was kind of yellow.............

Poppet found the yellow cup and yellow straw to drink her banana milkshake with

Little enjoying her lunch

Poppet even went exploring in the garden to find a yellow flower and brought it to me.


We made towers out of all our yellow objects until it was naptime. Then while Poppet was sleeping I found lots of yellow crafty bits - foam shapes, feathers, tissue paper, card, felt, and pens and crayons. I glued a piece of yellow card and a wallpaper sample (my favourite wallpaper ever incidentally, Saplings by Miss Print) to an A2 sheet of paper as a background. Then put it all on her desk along with some glue as an invitation to play.


She COVERED it in glue as is her style and had fun creating a beautiful yellow collage.


When she declared it was "all done" I added an extra piece of paper with 'yellow' written on it, hopefully with this up on our wall it will help to cement her 'yellow' recognition and she'll remember our fun, yellow day!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day!